Las Vegas mayor comments on city reopening criticized. The next Galfond Challenge will be “ActionFreak.” Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Las Vegas mayor says Las Vegas should be a “control group”
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman has been rounded criticized for comments made during an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Wednesday. In the interview, Goodman said that she wanted the city businesses to open now and act as a “control group” for the reopening of casinos and businesses in the city. She had previously slammed Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak’s non-essential business closure order as “total insanity.”
Mayor Carolyn Goodman is embarrassing herself on national TV.
I can’t believe what I’m seeing and hearing from her.
— Daniel Negreanu (@RealKidPoker) April 22, 2020
Watch the interview in its entirety below:
– Galfond Challenge Update: There was no session on Thursday. Galfond is currently ahead by over $90k in the Galfond Challenge with Bill Perkins after two sessions. The pair are taking a more casual approach to playing their challenge, compared to the daily sessions with Venividi. Activity in the Galfond Challenge will likely pick up as Galond is scheduled to head to head with “ActionFreak” on April 27th, where they will play €150/€300 PLO.
While it's fun to battle against a great opponent day in & day out, it can be truly exhausting.
I like to push myself, but it's important to know your limits. Sometimes it's best to focus on to softer competition.
— Phil Galfond (@PhilGalfond) April 18, 2020
– Dan Smith was the big winner of the Poker Masters action on Wednesday, taking down the $25,500 No Limit Hold’em 8-max (Event #21) to win a $511,875 first-place prize. Sabastian Lewin took home a $240,860 prize after coming out on top of the $10,300 No Limit Holde’m 6-max. Alex Foxen finished strong in both tournaments, finishing in 4th to win $141,750 in Event #21, which he followed up by winning $150,150 in his second-place performance in Event #22.
– Thursday night marks the start of the 2020 NFL Draft, which will be a welcome sight for millions of sports fans who haven’t had much to cheer for over the last couple months. To celebrate the occasion, the DraftKings online sportsbook is offering bettors the chance to earn 20% profit bonuses for bets made on the Draft.
– In Thursday’s featured poker training video, CodeRed concludes his “Journey Through A $215 MTT series,” where CodeRed made the final table of the PokerStars Sunday Million. In the final episode of the series, CodeRed is down to the final two tables as he tries to push for the final table.
Best poker videos on the Internet
– Streamer and poker player Drew “BetonDrew” Gonzalez is the latest guest of the Weekly Poker Showdown with Jaime Staples to discuss a variety of poker topics.
– Check out the latest episode of the CardPlayer Poker Stories podcast with guests Jason Koon, Nick Schulman and Bryn Kenney.
– 2019 WSOP Main Event runner up Dario Sammartino joined Jeff Gross in the latest of the appropriately titled Jeff Gross Podcast: