Dan “Jungleman” Cates issues statement in response to cheating allegations from Dan Bilzerian. Kansas becomes latest state to reopen casinos. Check out these stories and more in the Wednesday Hit and Run.
Dan Cates ghosting statement released
Dan “Jungleman” Cates has responded to accusations from Dan Bilzerian that he played under an account that was not his, commonly referred to as ghosting, on a poker app. In his statement, Cates confirmed that he was playing under another account but defended the actions by saying he understood the game to be rampant with players that were ghosting. Below is an excerpt from the statement. You can read the entire statement here.
While I don’t think it’s fair that I’ve been singled out for something many were much more guilty of, I accept that as a role model for the poker community my punishment should be disproportionate compared to a normal player. I hold myself to a high standard of ethics and aspire to be devoid of inequity, but I still make mistakes and am sorry for my actions. I will do my best to behave better in the future.
The end of the original statement got a lot of attention on Wednesday when it was concluded with a jab at those that had criticized him, saying in a now-deleted portion, “To those who attacked my integrity, I forgive you.”
Welp, I get to keep my word and part of the story is out. This was the right thing to do IMHO. https://t.co/QkcFf2Z2Pj
— Bill Perkins (Guy) (@bp22) May 27, 2020
– Kansas has become the latest state to reopen commercial casinos. Connecticut is expected to follow suit on Monday followed by the first Nevada casinos later in the week. Despite the wave of reopenings, there are still approximately 80% of casinos that remain closed as of Wednesday.
– The PokerStars SCOOP continues through its extended tournament schedule, highlighted by Pascal Lefrancois’ $417k win in the Second Chance Main Event.
– Galfond Challenge Update: After winning his second consecutive Galfond Challenge against ActionFreak, Phil Galfond is heading back to the states where he indicated he would be taking some time off saying on Twitter that he was “looking forward to a bit of rest.”
I’m pretty disappointed that I didn’t finish stronger, but I’m happy to walk away from a very tough match with the win.
Thanks to everyone involved and to all who watched the show!
I’m looking forward to a little bit of rest. https://t.co/yJdXKiHMRb
— Phil Galfond (@PhilGalfond) May 26, 2020
– Last week the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board revealed a series of requirements for PA casinos once they are given the go-ahead to reopen. Poker rooms will remain closed throughout the early part of the reopening and the casinos will operate at about 50% of normal capacity. PA is implementing a three-phase reopening based on COVID-19 data per country.
– In Wednesday’s featured classic poker training video, we look back at a series from Probrdr, who takes viewers through a journey during a $109 MTT. In this episode, Probrder plays the early stages of the tournament.
Best poker videos on the Internet
– Check out this run of cards for Kevin Martin during a MTT tournament that paid $5,700 for first:
Trying to close out this Heads Up for $5,700.
One of the craziest sequences of cards I've ever seen. pic.twitter.com/s2QtHwLd8e
— Kevin Martin (@KevinRobMartin) May 27, 2020
– Jesse Sylvia joins The Rake with Jamie Kerstetter and Marle Cordeiro to discuss the ghosting scandal originating with Bill Perkins allegations, the embrace of solvers among live players and online poker during the quarantine.
– The latest episode of Run it Back has been posted with Igor Kurganov joining Remko to discuss a classic High Stakes Poker episode from Season 5 which included appearances by Tom Dwan, Doyle Brunson and Antonio Esfandiari, among others.