Alexandros Kolonias is the latest WSOP Europe champion. The DraftKings online sportsbook readies its entry into state #4. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Kolonias wins first-ever live tournament victory
Alexandros Kolonias is the 2019 WSOP Europe Main Event champion, defeating Claas Segebrecht heads-up to win not only €1,133,678 and his first gold bracelet but also the first live tournament win of his poker career. In his path to victory, Kolonias outlasted a 541 entry field including a difficult final table that included Anthony Zinno and Dario Sammartino, who followed his runner-up performance at last summer’s WSOP with a fourth-place finish at the WSOPE on Thursday night.
Here was the final hand that gave Kolonias the victory.
— PokerGO (@PokerGO) October 31, 2019
The victory for Kolonias was his first seven-figure score of his poker career. His previous best came through a second-place finish at the €25,000 High Roller at EPT Monte Carlo in 2016 for $930,117.
|2019 WSOP Europe Final Table Results|
|3rd||Anthony Zinno||United States||€485,291|
|5th||Anh Do||Czech Republic||€244,653|
Despite the completion of the Main Event, WSOP Europe continues as the Colossos is just getting started. Thursday saw the start of the fifth of nine flights. Through the first four flights, 404 entries have joined the €550 buy-in event with 43 players moving on to Day 2, which will not be until Sunday. Shaun Deeb, Chris Ferguson and Erik Cajelais are among the notable players that have moved on to Day 2 and will wait for the other five Day 1 flights to conclude.
– On the same day that news broke that PokerStars would become the first online poker room in Pennsylvania, the DraftKings online sportsbook was also approved to launch its online sportsbook on November 4th for testing, which will be followed up by a full launch later in the week. It will be the fourth state where DraftKings has went live with an online sportsbook, having previously opened in New Jersey, Indiana and West Virginia.
– Legislation that would legalize sports betting and online gambling was approved by the Michigan House on Wednesday. But despite the progress made on the bill, Governor Gretchen Whitmer may stand in the way. Whitmer says that the bill’s 8.75% tax rate is too low, fearing negative impacts to the School Aid Fund. Before heading to Whitmer, the bill will now be considered by the Senate.
– A Twitch streamer who came in 5th during last week’s Sunday Million took to Twitter to protest not being paid for over 9 days. Fortunately, after some public pressure and security checks, his withdrawal was accepted.
Dear @PokerStars .After i had the most highest result of my life,(5th in the Sunday Million),my account was blocked, and now i am not getting responds from emails from anyone, anymore. I am a Twitch streamer, and i demand a response. This have been absolutely stressful 9 days 1/2
— Ermir Dunga (@ErmirDunga) October 29, 2019
– Thursday’s featured classic Grinderschool poker training video is part 4 of Gazellig’s “Going Deep in the Deep Stack” series, which covers his run in the deep stack MTT. In this episode, Gazellig continues his review as he aims for the final table of the $5 tournament,
Best poker videos on the Internet
– Daniel Negreanu is ready to join the third flight of Day 1 of the Colossos at the World Series of Poker Europe in his latest vlog.
– Watch Chris Moorman break down a famous hand between Daniel Negreanu and Mikita Badziakouski at the Super High Roller Bowl: