Ben Tollerene is a big winner as the British Poker Open concludes. PokerStars ends one of the longest-running tournament series in poker. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Ben Tollerene wins £100k NLHE event
Ben Tollerene is the final winner of the British Poker Open after taking down the £100,000 No Limit Hold’em Wednesday. In winning the title, Ben Tollerene beat Cary Katz heads-up in a tournament that drew 12 entries to win the equivalent of $1,037,1559. The victory was Tollerene’s biggest live tournament cash of his career with his previous best coming through a third-place finish at the $100,000 Super High Roller at the Aria in 2017.
The day started out the elimination of Christoph Vogelsang and Mikita Badziakouski, who were denied prizes due to the small field. The tournament rounds out the British Poker Open, which crowned 10 winners over the course of 10 days. Sam Soverel, who won the £25,000 No Limit Hold’em, finished with the British Poker Open points lead.
— Remko Rinkema (@RemkoRinkema) September 12, 2019
– PokerStars recently announced the sequel of the widely successful PokerStars Players Championship, PSPC 2020. While full details have not been released for the series that will held in Barcelona next August, PokerStars Marketing Director Eric Holleiser says the intention is to make the series “bigger and better” than it was last year, which awarded 320 $30,000 Platinum Passes to the event.
Lost in the news that the PSPC would be moving to Barcelona in 2020 was that the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure would be ending its 16-year run, citing a loss of player interest prior to last year’s PSPC, which was held as part of the PCA. “It’s no secret that after 15 successful years, the PCA has been losing momentum and there’s been increasing player criticism of the location. As such, we will not be returning to Paradise Island in 2020.”
– The Texas live poker scene was the subject of a recent piece in the New Yorker. The article, titled “The Perils of Semi-Legal Poker” details how two friends attempted to build gambling businesses in the state and comes on the heels of the raiding of two Texas card clubs this spring.
– Lance Bradley from Pocket Fives reviews the latest winners of the PokerStars WCOOP, which was highlighted by a $196k victory from “KaraageChicken” after chopping the High Roller.
– With six different brands online in the new PA online gambling market, an objective look at the best PA online casino and sportsbook bonuses. Meanwhile, Jimi Hendrix, Guns “N Roses and Motorhead are among the Rock and Roll icons available through Rock and Roll themed slots available through NetEnt at the PlaySugarHouse Casino.
– Thursday’s featured Grinderschool poker training video of the day is Part 11 of Colossos’s “Cash Games with Colossos” series, where he goes over a live play session of $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold’em Shorthanded.
Best poker videos on the Web
– Charlie Carrel introduces his new series – Ask a Professional Poker Player Anything series on YouTube.
– In the latest episode of the Weekly Poker Hand, Jonathan Little analyzes a hand from Stones Gambling Hall: